This was another substitute trail over the weekend. This trail was still pretty good, but not quite as much oomph as what we had planned to do: San Jacinto Peak via Palm Springs Tram. Did not do my due dillegence on this front: called up the night before to find out that from Long Valley it would be hardpack on trail and post-holing off trail.
In any case, we encountered some drifts at the Saddle Junction (with the Pacific Crest Trail) and above, but still very passable with hiking boots.
- 11:35am start from the trailhead parking lot.
- 12:25pm hit Saddle Junction.
- 1:27pm hit Tahquitz Peak ridge. Went through Tahquitz Valley by mistake. Be sure to take a hard right at the trail split; see last photo. Otherwise it would have been 15-20 minutes. Probably totaled 9 miles instead of 8.5 because of this.
- 1:50pm leave summit ridge. Did not go all the way to the summit for fear of slipping off trail.
- 3:06pm return to trailhead parking lot.
1700ft of the 2500ft elevation change is done in the 2.5 miles heading from the trailhead to the Saddle Junction.
- NOAA peak point forecast
- USFS: Devils Slide Trail 3E05
- Devils Slide to Saddle Junction
- The Devils Slide Trail to the Tahquitz Peak Lookout
226 words. Post tags: San Bernardino, National Forest, California, mountain, and trails.